By Holland Park Press
This competition is now closed.
For this new competition we’re taking inspiration from Arthur Rimbaud’s famous declaration ‘Je est un autre’ – ‘I is another’.
We would like you to write a story in the first person about someone who is not you but which is about a subject close to year heart. Therefore the storyline will really matter to you but the story should not be autobiographical.
It should have a strong theme such as betrayal, sorrow, lust, jealousy or revenge and be under 2000 words.
Take your inspiration from:
What is the prize?
The author of the winning short story will receive £200.
The winning short story and runners-up will be published in our online magazine.
The winner and runners-up will be announced at an awards ceremony in central London.
Who can take part?
We accept stories from anywhere in the world but submissions have to comply with these guidelines:
- The short story has to be written in English
- Translations are not accepted
- The short story should be 2000 words or less
- The short story must be the original work of the entrant and must not have been previously awarded or published
- You can only send in one short story per entrant
- We only accept electronic (email) submissions
When is the closing date?
You can send in your entries from 1 February and the competition closes on 31 August 2015.
How to submit your entry
In order to enter the competition you have to email us: email@example.com We regret that we cannot process entries that do not follow the guidelines set out below, so please read these instructions carefully.
- The short story must be attached as a single Microsoft Word file
- The Word file has to be named as follows: ddmmyy_firstnamesurname_another.doc, where ddmmyy is the date on which you send the email, firstname and surname are your names.
- ‘I is Another’ must appear in the subject line of the email
- The body of the email should contain your contact details
- Please do not add your name or contact details to the Word file attachment that contains your story
Good luck! We look forward to receiving your story.